If you are finding it hard to seek treatment for substance abuse remember you are not alone. According to a 2017 survey, around 19.7 million adults living in the United States struggled with addiction and other dangers of substance abuse. This entails the hazardous use of psychoactive substances such as hard drugs and alcohol. These substances can lead to the development of a strong desire to use the drug. Users tend to prioritize drugs and neglect their responsibilities.
Perils of Substance Abuse
Substance abuse significantly affects communities, families, and individuals. The effects are cumulative. They lead to costly mental, physical, and social health problems. Some of these social effects of substance abuse are domestic violence, teenage pregnancy, and child abuse. The abuse also affects parts of the human body. These effects include:
- Problems with decision-making, attention, and memory: This makes the daily life of the user difficult
- Weakening the immune system: increases the risk of infection and illness
- Abdominal pain and nausea: These cause weight loss and changes in appetite
- Heart conditions such as heart attacks and abnormal heart rates
- Brain damage, mental confusion, stroke, and seizures
- Increased pressure on the liver: This puts the user at risk of liver failure or liver damage
Symptoms of Substance Abuse
Various substances portray different symptoms. Treatment programs vary depending on the type of drug addiction. The type of drug you use determines the method of detox and how long it takes for you to fully recover.
Some substances under the opioid category include heroin, morphine, and codeine. Opioids have a high risk of overdose and are extremely addictive. Warning signs of opioid addiction include symptoms of depression and cravings for the drug. Symptoms of withdrawal from the drug include anxiety, diarrhea, and muscle cramping. Treatment includes detoxification and taking medication to control withdrawal from opioids.
Alcohol is readily available for all people since it is legal. It is common for people to get dependent on alcohol. Some of the symptoms of alcohol addiction include experiencing hangovers even when sober and drinking alone. One should not ignore the symptoms of alcohol abuse. Treatment begins by accepting you have the problem and seeking help from a professional.
Cocaine causes intense and short-lived feelings of increased motivation. The user has increased energy and a heightened mood. As the effects wear off, the user gets violent. A person struggling with cocaine addiction is often willing to do anything to get more of the drug. It is hard to keep off the drug even during the treatment period.
Addiction Treatment Programs Provided by the Washburn House
The facility located in Worcester, Massachusetts provides treatment programs to fit your unique needs. The program helps you avoid the dangers of substance abuse and lead a normal life. A medical team evaluates your condition and comes up with the best way to offer treatment.
Among the addiction treatment programs available include:
- Medically monitored detox: This is the first step to recovery. The body gets rid of the harmful substances in the system. Withdrawal symptoms are common during this period and may cause discomfort. Medical professionals help you feel safe and survive this stage
- Clinically managed inpatient drug rehab: This is a residential program that provides 24-hour care. The program ensures the activities of the outside world do not disrupt your recovery
- Day Treatment: This involves partial hospitalization. One attends group therapy sessions for five days in a week. The facility provides behavioral therapy, one-on-one counseling, and group therapy together with medication to enhance recovery
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP): This is less intensive compared to day treatment. One should attend group sessions for 3 days in a week
- Other programs provided include yoga sessions, music therapy, and journaling
Find Help in Controlling the Dangers of Substance Abuse at the Washburn House in Massachusetts
Don’t let drug addiction leave you struggling with life. Understand the dangers of substance abuse and find help today by reaching out to the Washburn House for treatment and efficient recovery at [Direct.] Take a wise step and contact us to improve your life and that of your loved ones.